Saturday, December 03, 2011

Handmade Gift Exchange Part 2

So my partner received her gift so I can show you what I made.  My exchange partner, Emily, is a busy mom with 2 girls and a fiance.  I figured she could use some relaxation.  Through emails she said she likes bold prints, pinks and greens.  Low and behold, I had the fabric to fit the bill.  I had a short term gig sewing baby quilts and the lady I was doing it for said I could keep any scraps too small for the quilts.  So I have a bunch of black and white zebra print and dots as well as a few pieces of black fleece.  Here is what I made....
Sleeping Beauty Eye Pillows...
 I found the pattern here.. And then modified it a bit.
Start by enlarging the pattern.  It prints smaller than actual size.  This is when I realize the cheep printer I purchased doesn't enlarge.  Luckily, I have a friend who's printer does.

Next, cut out your two pieces....

Then pin them together wrong sides together...
And baste them together, leave about a 2 inch whole to fill the eye pillow....

Cut a piece of 1/4 in elastic.  I found that 15-16 inches usually does it. And attach it to the BACK of the eye pillow.  I can't even tell you how many times I put it on the front, grrr.

Then you will start the bias tape.  I used double fold bias tape.  You'll notice that it has a shorter side.  Start with this.  You will unfold it and line it up with your fabric, on the right, top side, then stitch along the first fold. Start with a small fold at the beginning.  This will be your finished edge in the end.

Once you've gone all the way around ( leave the space with the opening undone) you will fold the bias tape over to the back, and top stitch close to the edge on the front.  Stop a few inches before you get to the hole. Be careful not to catch your elastic in the bias tape...



Now your going to add the filling.  I used flax seed, lavender and chamomile, but you can get really creative with this part.  This book, Making Herbal Dream Pillows, can give you a lot of ideas.  I just spoon it in until the pillow is about 1/2 full.  You want it to have enough to spread out, but not so much that it is stiff and doesn't drape over the eyes.
Then baste the opening closed...


Then finish the bias tape, tucking the ends into the beginning...

And your all done. 

Now you can heat these pillows in the microwave for about 1 minute.  Be careful not to go any longer or you could scorch the flax seed.  You can also keep them in the freezer and use them cold when you have a headache.

I made little spritzer bottles with essential oils for when the herbs start losing their scent.  I put a pinch of epsom salt in the bottom of a spritzer and added a few drops of Serenity EO, then filled the bottle with distilled water. 

The second pillow, I filled with Jasmine and Orange and made the spritzer with Elevation EO.

"What did I get?" You ask.  My partner made me this darling clutch for my purse and a Christmas coaster for my winter's hot cocoa.  I love them!

3 comments:

Ms. Hobbs said...

I love it! What a great gift exchange. You are so creative and have amazing skills. I'm jealous!

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

What great gifts! :) Happy Holidays!

Andrea said...

I love mine!