Thursday, February 10, 2011

What We Do for Entertainment

Oster vs. Blendtec


This was our "Great Green Smoothie" blender competition.  I love Amanda's face.  She is like "You've got to be kidding me, I have so many better things to be doing right now.  But I'll just smile and watch." Sienna is running around like a crazy woman.  Justin is the one doing the "prodding."  I'm giving "helpful" advice.  And Andrew and Meagan are totally into it.  Typical family reactions.

You always see the demos at Costco for the Blendtec, so we wanted to try it before we considered buying it.  Luckily, my mom already had a Bledtec for us to borrow.  I think we did something wrong, like maybe not enough water of something, because the Blendtecs at Costco go, Whiz, Bang, Boom, Green Smoothie!  In our trial, not so much.  Our Oster did fairly well once we "encouraged" it a bit.  The Blendtec had a bit smoother texture when finished.  This recipe was fairly simple for both blenders though.

Green Smootie
about 2 cups spinach
1 banana
2 clementines
about 1/2 cup pineapple, core and all
about 1 cup ice and water

We have made a few since then, but not compared as much.  The Blendtec will pulverize things like carrots into the smoothie.  I need to check our Oster to see how it does with harder fruits and veggies.  The smoothie above is the best recipe we have tried.  We've also experimented with mixtures including things like frozen strawberries, grapes, apples, kale, blueberries, yogurt, and kiwi.  Most everything is pretty yummy.  I can't seem to get over the texture of kale though, which is a bummer.  It is one of the healthiest greens to include.

I think adding green smoothies to our diet is going to help us tremendously.  We overload on carbs, diet Coke and meat here.  Greens aren't as well incorporated as they should be.  This makes it easy to get those recommended fruits and veggies into your diet.  And they taste great :) 

We will run a few more tests and let you know how the blenders compare.  But as for now, our Oster works fine to start with, whew.  And mom will probably want her Blendtec back eventually.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I think this just goes to show all blenders are created equal. I'm going to try a margarita maker. I think that's the ticket.