Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book Review- The Lonely Polygamist

First of all, I will make a confession.  I rarely read a book nowadays.  Most everything is in the format of an audiobook.  This is because I cannot keep my place on the page when a toddler is interrupting me every 2 minutes to play, I spend WAY too much time carpooling my kids around in the car, and my brain doesn't want to function properly anymore.  I love audiobooks because you can loose yourself in them while in the car, folding laundry, washing dishes, etc.  I love the great performances by the readers. Also, Justin, sitting in his haul truck all day, can listen to and preview and recommend all the books he can to me.  It makes selection a lot easier. so, here is my first official book review.

The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall
Justin read/listened to this before me and recommended it.  I loved this book.  It had me laughing my eyes out and at parts, crying them out too.  It is a story about real people, with all their flaws.  Follow Golden, the father, and his wives and children, through the crisis that is their lives.   This story really taught me the dangers of not living your life proactively.  Throughout the book, you can see how Golden's inability to make a decision affects himself and everyone around him.  He seems to be just floating through life, letting others take charge, until tragedy forces him to face his problems and try to heal the family that is falling to pieces around him.  It is a sad tale, but also a story of family love.  It doesn't demonize or glorify polygamy.  It just is.  I would give this book 4.5/5 stars and rate it PG-13.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

You have sold me! I'm going to buy it on my Kindle. Thanks for the recommendation. Michelle read it too and loved it as well.