Thursday, December 06, 2007

Devouring Books

Well, we are officially addicted to books and audio books. It has been a fun and mostly free way of entertainment. Are ipods are constantly loaded. Here are some of the books I've been listening to. I officially finished all six Outlander books that I blogged about before. These are long books but very entertaining. Justin is just finishing up the sixth book. I've listened to a few waiting for him to finish. I started with Fabelhaven 2, a children's book by Brandon Mull. My kids love his books. I'm not so sure. It seems he puts kids in a lot of dangerous situations and makes it seem OK. This series is about two siblings and their adventures on a Fairy Preserve. We are also reading The Candy Shop War by the same author with the kids at night. Again, they love it.
The next audiobook I started was The Dark Tower, Gunslinger, by Stephen King. I got about 2/3 of the way through it and just didn't like it. Just not my genre, too apocalyptic. When the guy kills off an entire town of people I just decided in wasn't my thing.
So, I listened to The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. This is a must read for everyone. One of the best novels I have read. Very insightful and heart wrenching. It is about two very different boys growing up in Afghanistan. Trust me on this one and read or listen to it.
Then for the fun girly novels. The Twilight Series, by Stephenie Meyer. This was a fun read. I enjoyed these, with a few exceptions. I didn't like how the protagonist was only happy or complete when she had a man in her life. And especially a very controlling one. I read these to see if they were appropriate for Amanda, all her friends have already finished the and she is dying to dive into them. Luckily, she will be getting them from Grandma for Christmas, so she won't have long to wait. As a teenager, I expect to not see her emerge from her room until the beginning of the year, when she has finished them. They are about a young girl who falls in love with a vampire and then a werewolf and must choose between them and whether or not to become a vampire herself.
Now I need to go to the library and see if I can find a new book... Any suggestions?

No comments: